The 2018 Storytelling Workshop is organised by the Aegean Film Festival and takes place in two phases during a 12 day period in July: Phase one in Athens and phase two on the island of Patmos, in parallel with the 2018 Aegean Film Festival.
The Workshop is open to anyone with writing experience or a professional career in a relevant field (cinema, theatre, prose, gaming) who wishes to:
a) Develop story ideas. b) Gain a practical approach to exploring the possibilities around one or more initial ideas. c) Validate (or invalidate) the inherent potential of story ideas. d) Evaluate the ability of a story idea to hold an audience. e) Lay the groundwork for developing a story in full.
The Workshop is designed to stimulate the work of scriptwriters and authors, directors and creative producers, employing experienced script consultants, in small groups of 10-15 participants, and using a process of collective dynamics and individualised focus. It uses video and narration as tools for the elaboration and evaluation of storytelling proposals, as well as various toolbox techniques.
The Workshop is also open to producers wishing to provide a stimulating support to their writers for the development of story ideas.
The Workshop consists of three main creative phases: A. Generation and expansion of principal ideas through an innovative method for unlocking the writer’s imagination and putting him in a creative mode. B. Selection of the final idea(s) to develop further C. Enforcement and development of idea's theme, main character and conflict
All participants will leave the Workshop with a 1 to 5 page synopsis and a 4 to 5 minute video presentation of a project for further development.
Additionally, the Workshop includes a series of seminars from eminent industry professionals.
The language of the Workshop is English.
The Workshop facilitates the creative process by providing room and board, travel and Festival passes for a care-free experience, allowing participants to immerse themselves in the task at hand: idea generation and storytelling!
The 2018 Storytelling Workshop is designed and produced in cooperation with the European film lab Le Group Ouest and the Aegean Film Lab.
Consultants and Seminars
The Workshop's team of consultants consists of established script consultants with more than 15 years of experience in guiding scripts to screen. All consultants are active in the film, audiovisual or literary industries, with experience in coaching and mentoring writers of cinema and audiovisual projects through the creative process.
Additionally, the Workshop includes a series of three dedicated seminars by Festival guests and industry professionals. Furthermore, a Panel Talk on the "Present and Future of Content Curation" will be presented by representatives of major film festivals, television channels and online platforms.
Application Deadline - June 4, 2018
Arrival in Athens - July 11, 2018
Athens Sessions - July 12 to 15, 2018
Travel from Athens (port of Piraeus) to Patmos - July 16, 2018
Aegean Film festival & Patmos Sessions - July 17 to 22, 2018
Travel from Patmos to Athens (port of Piraeus) - Night of July 22 to 23, 2018
- All Workshop sessions
- Aegean Film Festival Pass (includes access to all Festival screenings)
- 3 or 4-star accommodation in Athens, Greece for 5 nights (double occupancy).
- 3-star accommodation in Skala on the island of Patmos for 6 nights (double occupancy).
- Workshop Opening Dinner
- Catering during Workshop sessions
- Closing Party on Patmos
- Networking Filmmakers Gala on Patmos
- Aegean Film Festival Seminars & Panel Talks on Patmos
- Cultural visits in Athens and in Patmos, including to the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian in Patmos
- Airport & Port transfers
- Ferry deck tickets from Piraeus to Patmos on Monday
- Ferry cabin tickets Patmos to Piraeus (double occupancy)
- Transportation on Patmos (Workshop related)
- 50% discount on restaurants & other festival affiliated businesses on Patmos
- Workshop Certificate
- The Workshop takes place from July 12 to July 22, 2018, inclusive, in Greece, in the city of Athens and the island of Patmos.
- Workshop Participants will also attend the 2018 Aegean Film Festival taking place concurrently with the Workshop on Patmos from July 17 to July 22, 2018.
- The Workshop is open to individuals or teams from around the world, with or without a project in progress. Teams of two or more are requested to apply individually, mentioning their collaboration in the Notes/Additional Message field of the application.
- In order to participate in the Workshop, if you are not a citizen of a member state of the European Union or of the Schengen Area, you must ensure, in a timely manner, that you have the appropriate permission and valid passport to travel to Greece.
- The language of the Workshop is English. To participate in the Workshop you must have the ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Accommodation and transportation within Greece for the purposes of the Workshop are included in the Participation Fee.
- Participants are required to arrange and pay for their transportation to and from Athens, Greece, if they do not reside in Athens. Participants are required to be in Athens by Wednesday July 11 and will be returned to Athens on the morning of Monday July 23 for their return trip home.
- Accommodation and Ferry Cabin included in the Participation Fee is for Double Occupancy (i.e. you share the hotel room/cabin with another Participant). Participants can opt to upgrade to Single Occupancy (please see the Application & Fees tab for details).
- Participants can opt to have a companion staying with them during the Workshop. Please see the Application & Fees tab for details. If such an option is chosen, the Workshop provides ONLY accommodation for a Participant's companion. A Festival Pass is also available at a discount for a companion; again, please see the Application & Fees tab for details. ALL other costs relating to the Participant's companion, including transportation to and from Patmos, are to be borne by the Participant.
- Participation in the Workshop entails travel by ferry to and from the port of Piraeus and the island of Patmos, a journey of approximately 9 hours each way.
- The Workshop is open to all forms and applications of storytelling: fiction filmmaking, documentary filmmaking, playwriting, prose, gaming, comics, new media, etc.
- To make the most out of the Workshop, applicants are advised to already have basic knowledge of storytelling.
Application & Fees
The application period commences on March 1, 2018 and terminates on June 5, 2018 (UTC 00:00). We reserve the right to extend the termination date of the application period at our sole discretion.
The Application Fee for each Candidate is 10 EUR.
The Participation Fee for each Participant is 2,900 EUR (inclusive of all taxes and VAT).
Optional additional upgrades: Upgrade to Single Occupancy accommodation or Double Occupancy with a companion: 300 EUR Upgrade to Single bed cabin or Double Occupancy cabin with a companion on ferry: 50 EUR Additional Festival Pass for a companion: 100 EUR
To apply for participation in the Workshop please apply via the online Application Form. The Application Fee of 10 EUR for processing every application is non-refundable and is payable only through PayPal upon submission of an application.
Upon acceptance of an application and if the Applicant is offered a position on the workshop, he or she has 7 calendar days to accept the offer via email to the email address email@example.com.
The Participation Fee must be paid in full within 7 calendar days of acceptance of the offer of a position on the workshop by the Applicant.
Payment can be done via all major credit/debit cards and/or direct bank transfer. PayPal and any other payment means are not supported.
Places are going to be given as soon as qualifying applications are submitted, according to the discretion of the workshop's organizers and the selection criteria of the workshop.
Upon acceptance & payment, an invoice for the full amount will be issued.
We expect places to fill up quickly, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Cancellation is available with full refund until June 4, 2018 inclusive.
Cancellations from June 5, 2018 and onwards are not entitled to a refund.
The workshop team consists of:
Babis Tsoutsas - Aegean Film Festival Founder and Director
Alex Christoyiannis - Aegean Film Festival Workshop Director
Anthony Liakopoulos - Aegean Film Festival Workshop Coordinator
For any questions, clarifications, help with the application process, or for more information, please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org